Citizen Services

The Office of Citizen Services primary role is to provide open communication between the public and the Florida Department of Corrections (FDC). The office assists with locating and verifying information as well as assisting with inquiries related to FDC. We serve as a conduit and do not circumvent departmental policies and procedures. If you feel that your concerns were not addressed after exhausting all efforts at the appropriate levels, please contact our office for further assistance.

Frequently Asked Questions

  • Who do I contact if I have questions regarding my loved one’s eligibility or approval status to receive the Economic Impact Payment (stimulus payment)?

    Any questions regarding the application process, status, or eligibility of inmates for the Federal Economic Impact Payment must be addressed by the Internal Revenue Service. You may contact them directly by calling (800) 919-9833 or you may visit their website at

    Checks will be processed in the order in which they are received by FDC’s Bureau of Finance and Accounting. Due to the high volume of checks being received, processing time may be delayed and information regarding the status of your loved one’s check may not be immediately available. Thank you for your patience.

  • How can I get my loved one transferred closer to home?

      FDC does not accept transfer requests from third parties. Inmates may request a good adjustment transfer to another facility in another part of the state. A Good Adjustment transfer begins with the inmate submitting an Inmate Request for Good Adjustment Transfer form, DC6-187, to their Classification Officer. All requests for transfer must be submitted by the inmate. The Department does not guarantee that an inmate will be transferred to one of his or her preferred locations.

      In order to be considered for a Good Adjustment Transfer, an inmate must meet the following criteria:

      • More than nine months remaining to serve on their sentence.
      • If the inmate’s earliest release date is less than fifteen (15) years away, the inmate must be in the Department’s custody for a minimum of two (2) years.
      • If the inmate’s earliest release date is more than fifteen (15) years away, the inmate must be in the Department’s custody for a minimum of four (4) years.

      • Other criteria that must be met include:

      • Housed in either General Population or Protective Management.
      • Cannot be at his/her current location for a temporary reason (e.g., reception, medical services).
      • Must have earned gain time awards of at least overall satisfactory for the last twenty-four (24) months.
      • Must not have refused to participate in or been removed from any academic, vocational or mandatory substance abuse treatment program due to unsatisfactory participation during their current commitment with the Department.
      • Within the last twenty-four (24) months:
      • has not been transferred for negative reasons,
      • has not been released from close management,
      • has not been found guilty of a disciplinary report.
      • Cannot have received a Good Adjustment Transfer within the last four (4) years or requested the cancellation of an approved Good Adjustment Transfer within the last twelve (12) months.
      • Cannot request a transfer within one hundred twenty-five (125) miles of their current location.

    Who should I contact?

    • Inquiries pertaining to the direct care, custody and supervision of an inmate, or facility operations, should be directed to the warden at the facility where the inmate is housed.
    • Concerns regarding offenders on probation, parole, or community supervision may be directed to the circuit administrator for the area of supervision.
    • For other general inquiries and concerns, call or email our office at: (850) 488-7052 or

    When should I contact Classification?

    • The classification officer to whom the inmate is assigned to is responsible for inquiries related to: classification issues such as visitation, gain time, transfers, discipline, inmate job assignments, custody, work release, etc. Please contact the inmate’s current facility.
    • If you still have questions, please e-mail the Central Classification Office at

    When should I contact the Office of Health Services?

    • The Office of Health Services oversees the delivery of comprehensive medical, dental, and mental health treatment for all inmates statewide.
    • This includes health education, preventive care, and chronic illness clinics at the community standard level of care mandated by the federal government. The scope of an inmate's health care regimen includes emergency and specialty care as well as inpatient hospitalization, as required.
    • Keep in mind that federal and state laws prohibit FDC from releasing confidential information without written authorization. Prior to the release of any confidential information, the inmate must sign a "Consent for Inspection and Release of Confidential Information" form.
    • If you need more information regarding an inmate's health care or medical records you may e-mail the Office of Health Services at

    When should I contact the Inspector General’s Office?

    • Inquiries and concerns regarding criminal and administrative violations including contraband, physical abuse, sexual assault, or misconduct by staff should be directed to the Office of the Inspector General  for appropriate handling.
    • Complaints should be sent to 501 S. Calhoun Street, Tallahassee FL, 32399-2500 or Calls should be directed to 850-488-9265.

    What resources are available to inmates to voice their concerns?

    • In accordance with Chapter 33-103, inmates have continued access to the grievance process to remedy their concerns.
      • If the issue is not resolved at the institutional level, the inmate may appeal the issue to the Bureau of Policy Management and Inmate Appeals in the Central Office. The complaint must be submitted within time frames outlined in the rules so that it may be fully reviewed and, if necessary, corrective actions will be taken.
    • Should an inmate have concerns pertaining to classification issues such as visitation, gain time, transfer, discipline, inmate job assignments, custody, work release, detainer status etc., they may submit an inmate request addressed to their assigned classification officer.
    • Inmates may communicate health concerns to medical staff by reporting to routine “sick call,” by declaring a “medical emergency,” or by submitting a written request to health care staff.
    • Inmates may report crimes, Prison Rape Elimination Act (P.R.E.A.) issues, and fraud waste or abuse of public funds, anonymously to the Office of the Inspector General through the TIPS line. Information regarding this process is posted in each dorm.
    • Issues concerning food menu items, housing unit temperatures, disciplinary reports, housing status, or other issues should be addressed through the Inmate Grievance Process, and not be directed to the Office of the Inspector General. 

    What other resources are available?

    • FDC does not have authority on individuals or matters pertaining to county or federal facilities. For information about county jail or federal inmates, please contact the county facility or the Federal Bureau of Prisons.
    • The Florida Commission on Offender Review (FCOR), a separate state agency, handles matters pertaining to parole, commutation of sentence, and restoration of civil rights, conditional release, conditional medical release and addiction recovery supervision. Additionally, FCOR administers the clemency process for the Executive Clemency Board pursuant to the Rules of Executive Clemency. For more information, you may visit:
    • FDC does not have the authority to change an inmate's sentence in any way without a directive from the sentencing authority. For inquiries regarding jurisdiction, legal information, and lawyer referral services, please visit:

Contact Us

Florida Department of Corrections
Office of Citizen Services
501 South Calhoun Street
Tallahassee, FL 32399-2500

(850) 488-7052


(850) 922-4316

Quick Links

All Corrections Offender Search

Locate an Inmate

Supervised Offenders

Calling an Inmate

Department Directory

Inmate Handbook
Inmate Handbook - Spanish

Inmate Information

Locate a Prison

Private Correctional Facilities

Send a Package

Send Money to an Inmate

Visitation Information


Writing an Inmate