Home | About Us | Contact Us
Rick Scott, Governor
Florida Department of Corrections, Secretary Julie L. Jones

Florida Department of Corrections
Julie L. Jones, Secretary

Frequently Asked Questions Regarding
Inmate Transfers

  1. Will the department transfer an inmate closer to home to make visitation easier?
    1. While we believe maintaining family contact is very important to the overall success of the inmate’s development and eventual reentry into the community, the volume of inmates from certain areas of the state prevent us from using visitation convenience as a primary reason for transfers. In order to get closer to home inmates may request a “Good Adjustment Transfer” when they meet the required criteria.
    2. Most inmate transfer requests are made to be relocated to Region III (Central and South Florida) because that is where the majority of inmates, roughly 75%, consider home.
    3. These facts mandate that transfers be based on the needs (security, health, education) of the inmate and/or the needs of the Florida Department of Corrections.
    4. The department will not transfer inmates based on requests from third parties (individuals other than an inmate or a department employee while in the performance of his/her official duties, to include the inmate’s family members and friends).
    5. If transfer requests are received by any staff from a third party, they will inform the third party requester that submitting a transfer request is the responsibility of the inmate when the established criteria have been met.
    6. For inmate medical treatment or court-ordered transfers, the Population Management Section of the Bureau of Classification and Central Records is the coordinator--the ICT and SCO do not review these requests. Upon completion of the treatment or satisfaction of the court order, the inmate is returned to the originating facility, if that placement is still appropriate. Other types of transfers, such as Good Adjustment transfers, cannot be considered while the inmate is out to court or until medical services have been completed and the inmate has returned to his/her permanent facility.

  2. How do inmates request a Good Adjustment transfer?
    1. Inmates may request a Good Adjustment transfer by submitting a completed DC6-187, Good Adjustment Transfer Request form, when they have met the established criteria.
    2. Inmates cannot submit this form during the initial reception process or when housed temporarily at a facility (i.e. medical/mental health treatment, court order, etc.).
    3. The DC6-187 is available in the institutional library, classification department, and in any housing unit.
    4. The inmate will submit the completed DC6-187 by placing it in the locked formal grievance box.
    5. A recommendation for a good adjustment transfer in and of itself will not necessarily result in approval.
    6. Inmates will receive a written notice as soon as a final decision has been made to approve or disapprove his/her transfer request. 
    7. Inmates approved for good adjustment transfers are relocated as soon as possible based on available bed space.  Depending on the area requested and other factors, the inmate may wait a year or longer.  Department staff is not permitted to provide transfer scheduling information to third parties for security reasons. Individuals who communicate with Department staff by any means (phone calls, emails, letters, etc.) to inquire about the “status” of a transfer, can only be told if the transfer has been approved or disapproved.  Inquiries made to find out if the transfer is scheduled or when it’s scheduled to take place cannot be answered.    
    8. Inmates may be diverted to an institution within reasonable driving distance if bed space is not available at the approved institution or the inmate is otherwise unsuitable for housing at the requested/approved facility.  While an inmate may be initially approved to a specific location, until the transfer actually takes place, the destination is subject to change.

  3. What are the criteria which inmates must meet to be considered for a good adjustment transfer?

    The criteria include, but are not limited to:
    1. the inmate’s overall release date (the inmate must have more than six [6] months remaining to serve);
    2. the time served in the current State of Florida correctional institution or contract correctional facility at the time the transfer request is submitted;
      1. if the inmate’s earliest release date is less than two (2) years away, the inmate must have served at least six (6) months of the current commitment;
      2. if the inmate’s earliest release date is from two (2) years to ten (10) years away, the inmate must have served at least one (1) year of the current commitment at current and previous facilities with no negative or ex-close management transfers in the last year;
      3. if the inmate’s earliest release date is greater than ten (10) years but less than twenty-five (25) years away, the inmate must have served at least two (2) years of the current commitment at current facility and previous facilities with no negative or ex-close management transfers in the last two (2) years;
      4. if the inmate’s earliest release date is twenty-five (25) years or more away, the inmate must have served at least three (3) years at current and previous facilities with no negative or ex-close management transfers in the last three (3) years;
    3. the inmate is currently housed in general population or protective management;
    4. the inmate is not at current location for a temporary reason (i.e. reception, medical services);
    5. the inmate must be compatible with the requested facility’s mission and profile;
    6. the inmate’s earned gain-time indicates at least overall satisfactory evaluations for the last twelve (12) months; six (6) months overall satisfactory evaluations if the inmate is within two years of his/her release date;
    7. the inmate has not refused to participate in mandatory programs or been removed due to unsatisfactory participation during her/his current commitment;
    8. the inmate has no disciplinary reports within the last twelve (12) months; six (6) months disciplinary free if the inmate is within two years of his/her release date;
    9. the inmate has not transferred for good adjustment within the last twelve (12) months;
    10. the inmate has not been released from Close Management during the last twelve (12) months;
    11. the inmate has not been transferred for any negative reason during the last twelve (12) months; and
    12. the inmate has not requested the cancellation of an approved good adjustment transfer during the last twelve (12) months.

  4. I want to be notified of an inmate's transfer. How do I go about making this happen?
    1. If you are a victim of an inmate and want notification before an inmate is transferred or released, you may contact our Victim Services Office, toll-free at 1-877-8 VICTIM (1-877-884-2846). For additional information on Victim Services, please visit the Victim Services Program Information webpage.
    2. Because of the large volume of transfers, we are not able to notify family and friends of inmate transfers. Our web site's Inmate Population Information Search database is updated every 24 hours. A completed transfer is reflected on the inmate's detail record page in the "Current Facility" data field.

If you need more information on Inmate Transfers, then e-mail us at: central.classification@mail.dc.state.fl.us.

Privacy Policy | Accessibility