Florida Department of Corrections
Julie L. Jones, Secretary
Did You Know?
A Few Helpful Tips
- The Florida Department of Corrections (FDC) has institutions, not institutes.
- FDC only has supervision over state prisons, not county jails or federal prisons.
- Proper reference should be Correctional Officers, not prison guards.
- County jails have Corrections Officers, so don’t assume that when you refer to a Correctional Officer that your readers/viewers will know you are talking about a FDC employee.
- FDC has inmate ID photos, not “mug shots.” “Mug shots” have to be obtained from the arresting law enforcement agency.
- Correctional Officers do not carry firearms.