Safety & Risk Management
Due to its unique mission, the Department of Corrections must provide for the environmental health and safety of incarcerated felons, as well as its own employees, volunteers and visitors. The department has a formal risk management program on file with the Division of Risk Management. The program is implemented by the department's Environmental Health and Safety Manual.
Other areas of responsibility include:
- One of the professional staff from this unit accompanies state fire protection specialists of the Division of State Fire Marshal during annual fire safety surveys.
- Annual fire, environmental health and OSHA-related safety inspections of new, renovated and current institutions, followed by the on-site verification of corrected violations.
- Conducting the environmental health, safety and risk management portion of the operational review process that is conducted every two years at all major correctional facilities.
- Conducting training sessions for Loss Control Management including accident investigation, general safety awareness, damaged or lost property coverage, and a review of workers' compensation issues.
- Receive and process all Risk Management claims to include Property Damage, General Liability, Auto, Boiler and Machinery and Missing or Damaged Inmate Property.
Operations & Management