August 27, 2021
Contact: FDC Communications
Information Related to Temporary Closures
FDC is strategically consolidating the current inmate population at the following facilities and temporarily relocating inmates and staff to ensure safe and secure correctional institutions:
- Cross City Correctional Institution (currently evacuated due to flooding; no inmates on site as of August 7)
- Baker Correctional Institution
- New River Correctional Institution
All FDC employees will be temporarily reassigned to a neighboring institution. Staff will not lose their job or rank, as these measures are temporary. Every effort to maintain housing within an inmate’s current custody status, will be made.
These temporary actions do not impact our current population and will not result in the early release of inmates.
Some of the measures FDC has implemented to address staffing at institutions include:
- Continuing transitioning correctional institutions from 12-hour shifts to 8.5-hour shifts, as recommended by national experts, and strongly supported through data analysis of safety trends
- Offering $1,000 hiring bonuses at institutions with 10% or more staff vacancy rate
- Offering $1,000 hiring bonus for returning certified staff
- Increasing the rate of pay to $33,500 for (non-certified) correctional officer trainees
- Hiring part-time certified correctional officers
- Consolidated work camps and annexes into main institutions
As Florida's largest state agency, and the third largest state prison system in the country, FDC employs 24,000 members, incarcerates 80,000 inmates and supervises nearly 145,000 offenders in the community.