October 24, 2019
Contact: FDC Communications
FDC Celebrates Program Graduation at Lancaster Correctional Institution
If you would like to attend, please contact the Florida Department of Corrections’ Office of Communications as soon as possible at (850) 488-0420. Attendees will need to complete and submit a media background access form. No video or photos may be taken without prior consent and approval of Department staff at the event.
- Media representatives are invited to attend a program graduation for inmates receiving their GED or Career and Technical Education (CTE) program certificates at Lancaster Correctional Institution on Friday, October 25. Graduates’ family members and FDC administration will be in attendance during and after the ceremony. Media representatives covering this event will have access to take photographs and video during the event and interview inmate graduates and consenting family members. Following the graduation, media will also have an opportunity to interview Secretary Mark S. Inch regarding educational
- Friday, October 25, 2019, 3:00 p.m.
Media should arrive no later than 2:15 p.m. for processing through security and equipment set up. Late arrivals cannot be accommodated.
- Secretary Mark S. Inch will be present to congratulate the graduates and will be available to media to respond to questions regarding educational and vocational programs.
Former University of Florida student and football player, Juan Collins will be the guest speaker and share his own experiences with the graduating class.
- Lancaster Correctional Institution
3449 S.W. State Road 26
Trenton, Florida, 32693
- Aligned with Florida Department of Education curriculum frameworks and performance standards, FDC’s academic education programming consists of traditional coursework leading to a high school diploma or equivalency. For inmates who have completed an educational component or those interested in learning or perfecting a trade skill, there are 91 CTE courses in 36 distinct vocational trades statewide. FDC offers meaningful academic and CTE opportunities to inmates to equip them with competencies conducive to successful social reintegration and employability.
- (IF THIS ARE IS USED INSERT THE CONTACT CONTENT HERE) To adopt a Heel to Heal graduate, please contact the Hernando County Animal Services at (352) 352-540-6286 or email@example.com.
- Lancaster Correctional Institution is located 35 miles west of Gainesville on SR-26. It is 3.5 miles west of Trenton on SR-26. From US-19 at Fanning Springs, take SR-26 and travel east approximately 5 miles. If you need assistance with locating the institution, we are available by phone and email on the day of the event.
If you or another member of your media organization would like to cover this event, please contact the Florida Department of Corrections’ Office of Communications as soon as possible at (850) 488-0420 or PublicAffairs@FDC.MyFlorida.com. Attendees will be required to complete and submit a media background access form (attached). No video or photos outside the graduation may be taken without prior consent and approval of Department staff at the event. Media attendees will have an opportunity to interview and film/photograph consenting inmates and program participants.
As Florida's largest state agency, the Department of Corrections employs 24,000 members statewide, incarcerates approximately 94,000 inmates and supervises nearly 161,000 offenders in the community.