February 8, 2019
FDC Celebrates 50th Prison Pups N Pals Graduation at Tomoka Work Camp
If you would like to attend, please contact the Florida Department of Corrections’ Office of Communications as soon as possible at (850) 488-0420. Attendees will need to complete and submit a media background access form. No video or photos may be taken without prior consent and approval of Department staff at the event. Media attendees will have an opportunity to interview and film/photograph consenting inmates, and program participants. The Department is unable to accommodate interviews with staff during these visits.
- Media are invited to the 50th Prison Pups N Pals graduation ceremony. The increasingly popular Prison Pups N Pals program brings together rescue dogs from the Halifax Humane Society with inmates from Tomoka Correctional Institution Work Camp, to obtain obedience training prior to adoption. Upon graduation, the dogs are crate trained, housebroken, spayed/neutered, up-to-date on shots and micro-chipped.
The program also partners with the Orlando V.A. to provide companion dogs to veterans with PTSD.
- Thursday, February 14, 2019, at 10:00 a.m.
- Tomoka Correctional Institution Work Camp
3950 Tiger Bay Road
Daytona Beach, Florida 32124-1098
- Through programs like Prison Pups N Pals, the Department of Corrections is focusing on teaching inmates viable job skills that will lead them to productive jobs and law-abiding lives upon release.
- The Halifax Humane Society adoption fee for these trained and housebroken rescue dogs ranges from only $35 to $70, depending on their age. Adoption forms may be obtained by calling the shelter at 386-274-4703. For more information about the program, please visit www.prisonpups.org or halifaxhumanesociety.org.
- From Orlando: I-4 East to exit 129, East 92 – Merge onto W INTERNATIONAL SPEEDWAY BLVD/US-92 E via EXIT 129 on the LEFT toward Daytona Beach, Make a U-TURN at OLD DELAND RD onto W INTERNATIONAL SPEEDWAY BLVD/US-92 W, follow for 2.1 miles and turn RIGHT onto INDIAN LAKE RD, follow .8 miles and Turn LEFT onto TIGER BAY RD, follow until reaching TOMOKA CI WORK CAMP.
From Jacksonville: I-95 S to exit 261B, West 92 – Merge onto W INTERNATIONAL SPEEDWAY BLVD/US-92 W via EXIT 261B toward DELAND, follow 4.6 miles and Turn RIGHT onto INDIAN LAKE Road, follow .8 miles and Turn LEFT onto TIGER BAY RD, follow until reaching TOMOKA CI WORK CAMP.
As Florida's largest state agency, the Department of Corrections employs 24,000 members statewide, incarcerates approximately 96,000 inmates and supervises nearly 166,000 offenders in the community.