March 9, 2018
Visitation Canceled at Six Institutions
TALLAHASSEE, Fla. – The Florida Department of Corrections (FDC) has announced cancellation of weekend visitation at five institutions:
- Cross City Correctional Institution – Work Camp (Cross City)
- Gulf Correctional Institution – Main Unit (Wewahitchka)
- Hamilton Correctional Institution – Work Camp (Jasper)
- Lawtey Correctional Institution – Main Unit (Lawtey)
- Suwannee Correctional Institution – Work Camp (Live Oak)
- Madison Correctional Institution – Work Camp (Madison)
In response to significant contraband recoveries at the above listed institutions, and an incident involving inmates at Gulf C.I., that resulted in staff injury, FDC will cancel weekend visitation to ensure the continued safe operation of facilities statewide.
Michelle Glady, FDC Communications Director: “The secure operation of our correctional institutions is our chief priority. We have zero tolerance for inmate misconduct or the introduction of contraband into our secure facilities. We are taking proactive measures to ensure these institutions can continue normal operations and that the safety of staff and inmates can be upheld. We look forward to resuming normal visitation as quickly as possible.”
As Florida's largest state agency, the Department of Corrections employs 24,000 members statewide, incarcerates approximately 96,000 inmates and supervises nearly 166,000 offenders in the community.