June 15, 2017
FDC, Florida Gateway College to Host Open House for Second Chance Pell Pilot Program at Columbia CI
If you would like to attend, please contact the Florida Department of Corrections’ Office of Communications as soon as possible at (850) 488-0420. Attendees will need to complete and submit a media background access form. No video or photos may be taken without prior consent and approval of Department staff at the event.
- Media are invited to the Florida Gateway College Open House at Columbia Correctional Institution Annex.
Florida Gateway College and the Florida Department of Corrections were selected by the United States Department of Education as one of 67 sites for the Second Chance Pell Pilot Program. The program offers associate degree courses and certification up to 65 inmates which began on January 24, 2017.
- Wednesday, June 21, 10:00 a.m.
- Columbia Correctional Institution Annex
216 S.E. Corrections Way
Lake City, Florida 32025
- Through programs like the Second Chance Pell Pilot Program, the Department of Corrections is focusing on reducing recidivism by providing inmates a valuable education and employment opportunities in high demand fields.
- From I-75 take Exit 427 (US-90 East) for 6 miles. The facility will be on your right.
From I-10, take Exit 324 (US-90 West) for 11 miles. The facility will be on your left.
- For further information, please contact the Communications Office at Florida Department of Corrections (850) 488-0420 or Mike McKee at Florida Gateway College (386) 754-4331.
As Florida's largest state agency, the Department of Corrections employs 24,000 members statewide, incarcerates approximately 96,000 inmates and supervises nearly 166,000 offenders in the community.